Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Some days without posting!

Friday was a day to prepare the next cluster to run galapagos on it, but I had to stop at the point of preparing the PSF. The idea is gathering as many good stars as possible in all tiles and I had to learn how Marco's task was working. 

Monday was quite a useless day with a lot of paperwork, trying to get the IDL problem fixed, check the final mask for the observing run of this week and buying some external disks to make a large array.

Tuesday was putting the PSF routine to work and visiting the hospital where Matheus will be born!!

Today was a day full of small problems.

1- The bureaucratic IDL support in Germany "CREASO" refused to give any kind of support to my question, because our "license/maintenance contract" is expired.

This fact really made me think is not worth developing a single extra line of code for IDL since their license is so expensive and their way of thinking is so cheap!!

BUT! I wrote the support in Brazil, the SULSOFT and Mr. Michael Steinmayer, who I happen to have met some years ago and he kindly agreed to at least try to help me in this issue.

THANKS A LOT MICHAEL!!! You may solve solve my problem soon, but you surely improved my concept on ITTVIS. There's still hope for IDL.

The problem is that when I SPAWN a GALFIT in any 64 bits machine of our network it complains that it cannot find the X11 library, even though the path is correct, variables are properly set and the file IS THERE. The same setup and file is used in the 32 bits machine and the SPAWN works properly.

If anyone has a clue about it, let me know!

2- Started to format my external disks as ext2 in my MacBook and it collapsed leaving my disk "busy". I had to reformat it in WINDOWS at home to be able to make the MacBook read the disk again ... (it has happened twice). Tomorrow is last try! It can be the disk, since the first external disk format perfectly.

3- Downloading the SDSS SQL files. 24 GB the first one and it quits when the file reaches 2 GB with a "file size limit exceeded" ... even though I can create a file as big as 24 GB "by hand" in this same disk!

Here also, any hint is welcome!!!

Tomorrow back to science!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home