Tuesday, July 08, 2008

photometric redshifts ...

Today was plots and photometric redshifts day ...

First, yesterday I had to re-install kcorrect on my Mac. Then, today, I found out that some definition was preventing me from using SuperMongo ... took a while to find it.

Then I tried Txitxo Benitez's BPZ. Then the test failed, some problem with Python. Then you try this and that, install a new version and nothing helps.

Then you give up and say "I'll use kphotz from kcorrect!!!". That should be easy ... and the results were non-sense ... the same for all the galaxies, even for a test line with all magnitudes equal to 0.00 (hey! it's Vega!!! :-)) And it's at z=0.0301).

Then you give up again and go to another computer. I went to my desktop at ESO. Unpacked BPZ and it works perfectly, while kphotz still tells me all the galaxies are at the same redshift (it's a hell of a cluster at z=0.0301, but Vega is not there anymore).

Now learning some stuff about BPZ. That's what happens when your photo-z guru is on vacation hehehehe

Tomorrow more and I gotta go faster, but I can't stay awake any longer ... small kid at home does that for you.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:45 AM, Blogger Miguel V. said...

You have defined something wrongly. kphotz can give non-sense results, but not that nonsense. I tested it once and could not see my clusters anymore in the redshift distribution. But the redshifts were "coherent".

Now, phot-zs based in broad-band filters give in general very bad redshifts, despite the claims of different groups.

Good luck!

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger Cris Da Rocha said...

I know phot-zs are bad, but when they're all you can get, I still think they are better than nothing. Let's see.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home