Sunday, October 14, 2012

Talk in Vienna


It's been a while that I don't do science on a daily basis ... life goes on, but some science is been made :-)

A collaboration paper came around, another one is submitted, assisting Stefi (Bodo Ziegler's student in Vienna), just not much on my beloved compact groups from my side.

A post-doc from Bodo (Paul Eigenthaler) got interested in our wavelet method (OV_WAV) and would like to use it on fossil groups. Nice follow up! We (mostly him) wrote some proposals, let's hope we get data. He's moving to Chile at the end of the month so Bodo invited me for a talk/collaboration meeting in Vienna.

It's been a while from my last science travelling, so it'll be fun. Also great to see old friends (Bodo, Miguel Verdugo, Steffi) and meet new people (like Paul). Also a great chance to walk around Vienna and take some nice pictures :-)

In addition to talk about compact groups, intragroup light and dynamical evolution, the idea is to teach Paul, Stefi and eventually Miguel, how to use the OV_WAV. Is a nice piece of code, but it's not the easiest thing to use and requires A LOT of human interaction. The results are TOTALLY worth.

I'll probably also talk about some tutorial on using ESO's archive, not any official thing, just my take and tips as advanced and long time user, on using the new features they have. Tell people that using databases is cool and good. My office mate, some months ago came with a comment that is killer on the topic "if I knew databases when I was doing my PhD, everything would have been easier and faster. And some of the math and theory on the wavelets method. It's not a must know, but it helps if you know what's being done.

I'll try to keep posting during the week.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home